PROTECT YOUR PROPERTY FROM BURGLARS WHILE YOU’RE ON HOLIDAY
Household burglaries are going down in the county, but an increasing number of homes are being burgled because residents are not taking sensible precautions before going away.
You can help to make your home more secure while you are away by following these tips:
- Make your home look like someone is living in it. Don’t close your curtains in daytime this shows the house is empty. Use automatic timer-switches to turn your lights on when it goes dark.
- Cancel any milk or newspaper deliveries.
- Avoid discussing holiday plans where strangers may hear details of your absence from home.
- Cut the lawn before you go and trim back any plants that burglars could hide behind.
- Uncollected mail is a sign that you are away. The Royal Mail’s ‘Keepsafe’ service will keep your mail for up to two months while you are away.
- Consider leaving important documents and valuable items with other family members or a bank. Or lock them in a safe.
- Do not put your home address on your luggage when you are travelling to your holiday destination.
- Finally, make sure that you’ve locked all outside doors and windows and, if you have a burglar alarm, make sure it is set.